Tentative application coming February 2024, pending program funding.
For now, we invite you to take a look at the video below, documenting the experiences of the 2023 cohort:
We invite you to apply for our exciting Field Study Abroad program in beautiful Guanajuato, Mexico this summer! Our School applied for grant funding to support a group of 6 Social Ecology students to spend three weeks completing fieldwork at the Centro Fox facilities—former home of past Mexican president Vicente Fox, now home to the large non-profit Vamos Mexico!
Every day, hundreds of Mexican school children bus into Centro Fox to participate in their “President for a Day” program, and the center wants your fresh perspective as American Social Ecology students to participate and evaluate how their program can be improved. We hope our students can bring their skills and knowledge to support the Mexican youth while experiencing the local culture and beauty.
Please read the program details below very carefully and be sure that you are eligible for the trip and submit your materials on time!!
- Program dates in Mexico: June 24 – July 16
- Includes three weeks of in-person fieldwork at the Centro Fox facilities in Guanajuato, and two weeks of remote fieldwork upon returning
- Must enroll in SE 195 Field Study (online) during Summer Session I (will be attending SE 195 for three weeks remotely from Guanajuato and two weeks remotely upon returning to U.S.)
- In Guanajuato, participants will be supporting the “President for a Day” program where Mexican youth attend a series of activities that teach them about socially responsible leadership and how to make a difference in their own communities, families, schools, etc.
- You will start by supporting the program leaders, and gradually work up to facilitating your own section of the program!
- You will have the opportunity to create content for the program/youth based on your own areas of interest/major (e.g., coping skills, anti-bullying, environmental conservation, social justice, etc.)
- You will help collect basic survey data from the Mexican schoolchildren that participate to evaluate how they feel about the program and how the program could be improved in the future
- You will work together with other Field Study participants to write a report on your own observations and the survey data to share with the program staff.
- Participants will stay at the Hacienda San Cristobal (two per room), located on the grounds of the Centro Fox facility, and will be served three meals a day by the center’s chefs
- Participants will be chaperoned to several cultural weekend trips (e.g., Leon, Guanajuato City, and more) and several smaller weekday trips
- IMPORTANT FUNDING INFORMATION: We have applied for grant funding that should support most of the costs associated with student travel, lodging, and summer field study course enrollment; students would only need to pay for incidentals and extra purchases. We expect to learn of the funding outcomes sometime during the week of 4/24. There is a chance that we will NOT be granted the funds, and will therefore not be able to support student travel on this trip. If that occurs, we will send out updated trip details as soon as possible
- Strong written and spoken Spanish
- Current passport and ability to travel internationally
- School of Social Ecology/ENSP Majors ONLY
- Meet eligibility for summer Field Study (Junior/Senior; SE 10 completed by program start)
- Availability to spend three weeks abroad in Guanajuato, Mexico [tentative dates: 6/24 to 7/16]
- Applications can be found through the Field Study home page or you can apply here
- Each application requires three open-ended responses that detail why you are a strong candidate for the program, how you believe you can contribute to the program, and why this experience will be valuable to you
- Each applicant must provide contact info for a strong professional reference (e.g., professor, staff, research supervisor, boss, volunteer manager, etc.) who will be contacted by our office if your application is under strong consideration
- Applications due by Friday, May 5th, 5pm
- Students will be notified of their application status by the end of day on Friday, May 12th.
Watch the recording of the informational presentation from 4/13 where Field Study Director Dmitry Tsukerman describes the program and answers student questions.
For additional questions, please email Field Study Director, Dmitry Tsukerman email@example.com
Thank you, and we hope to see you soon!