The UC Irvine School of Social Ecology strives to develop future leaders equipped with solid communication, critical thinking, analytical, technological, and interpersonal skills through experiential field study opportunities. Since 1970, Field Study has been a requirement for students seeking a baccalaureate degree from Social Ecology and is an element of the school’s commitment to training future leaders. Through concurrent coursework and field placement, these prepare students to tackle the pressing issues confronting business and community leaders locally, regionally, nationally, and globally.
Scholarships and Awards
Hyink Scholarship- Annual Scholarship offered by the California Internship & Work Experience Association
The California Internship & Work Experience Association (CIWEA) will select two students to receive a $1,000 scholarship each. Students apply by submitting an essay that describes how their academic internship, co-op, or work experience has influenced their career choice. Essays are submitted to a CIWEA member on campus or at the worksite. After a review process, the selected students will receive their scholarship in April 2020..
· One $1000 scholarship will be awarded to a student from a 4-year university and one $1000 scholarship will be awarded to a student from a 2-year college in California. A certificate of achievement will be awarded to the second-place winner in each category.
· Open to all undergraduate and graduate students attending 2-year and 4-year institutions in California.
· Any major may apply.
· Completed Internship, Work Experience or Co-op during winter, spring, summer or fall of 2019 while a student on your campus (must be a verifiable academic experience and completed by December 31, 2019).
· Previous award recipients are not eligible.
· Student applications (essays) must be submitted through a CIWEA member at the student’s college.
Excellence in Field Study Awards
Students in the School of Social Ecology learn to apply their skills and gain practical training in their own area of interest by fulfilling the School’s field study requirement. The Excellence in Field Study award is reserved for students who have been nominated by their supervisor and faculty sponsor for standing out in both their field placement and the classroom. Students receive a certificate.
Dean's Award for Exceptional Achievement in Field Study:
The Dean’s Award for Exceptional Achievement in Field Study is bestowed upon outstanding field study students who excelled in their application of course work to real-world experience. The awardee is selected from those nominated for Excellence in Field Study. This award comes with a cash prize.
The Law Offices of Adrienne D. Cohen Award for Excellence in Advanced Field Study
We are also pleased to recognize this year’s recipient of the Law Offices of Adrienne D. Cohen Award for Excellence in Advanced Field Study. Although we honor all Advanced Field Study students each year for their substantial service contributions and applied research, this award specifically acknowledges a student for demonstrating the true spirit of Advanced Field Study by continually going above and beyond to make meaningful contributions to their site and conducting impactful community-based research as well. This award comes with a cash prize.