Procedures & Deadlines

***Please see our FAQ page for updated deadlines and procedures for Winter and Spring 2021 Field Study

Start Your Field Study Journey with our Steps to Success! 


Click below for

Field Study Catalog  

Course Enrollment Form (Spring 2022)

Resume help 

Cover letter help


2021-2022 Field Study Student Calendar 

* Email Authorization: if students meet all prerequisites and meet the deadline to submit a Course Enrollment Form, they will receive an email authorization with information on how and when to enroll. Students are not to enroll prior to receiving this notification.

Field Study Prerequisites

  • Declared major in the School of Social Ecology or Environmental Science and Policy Major
  • SOCECOL 10 (or an equivalent course) 
  • 2.0 GPA
  • Junior or Senior Standing (90+ units)
  • Lower Division Writing - If requesting SOCECOL 195W
  • Accepted a placement at listed Field Study Community Partner and submitted course enrollment form by the deadline.

Field Study Units (***subject to change during physical distancing and remote instruction--see Field Study FAQ page for latest modifications) 

  • 20 hours of field work = 1 unit of academic credit
  • Four (4) units of Social Ecology 195 Field Study are required to graduate
  • During the academic year, field study SE 195 may be taken for 2-8 units and SE 195W for 4-8 units; summer for 4 units
  • Field Study may be repeated for up to 12 units


Research and Learning Assistants for Field Study: Enrollment procedures and guidelines

Participation as a research assistant (RA) or as a learning assistant (LA) can count as your field placement, but these have specific enrollment requirements as described below. PLEASE READ THIS SECTION CAREFULLY:

  • You MUST enroll in the correct number of SE 195 or SE 195W units in addition to the SE 198 (for RAs) or UNI STU 198 (for LAs) units as specified below. 
  • Each of the enrollment specifications outlined below will fulfill your Field Study requirement 
  • You will need to request an authorization code from your faculty RA or LA supervisor (NOT your Field Study course instructor) to enroll in SE 198 or UNI STU 198. Please reach out to them directly when your registration window opens.
  • **If the LA course or RA project is OUTSIDE of the school of Social Ecology, you will need to get special approval to use this placement from the Field Study office. Please note that to be approved, the subject matter of the LA course or RA project needs to align closely with the Social Ecology curriculum. 
    • Request approval to use a research lab OUTSIDE of the School of Social Ecology HERE

Enrollment Requirements for Research/Learning Assistants for Field Study:

  • RAs in SE 195 must enroll in exactly: 2 units (SE 195) + 2 units (SE 198) = 4 total units
  • LAs in SE 195 must enroll in exactly: 2 units (SE 195) + 2 units (UNI STU 198) + 2 units (UNI STU 176) = 6 total units
  • RAs in SE 195W must enroll in exactly: 4 units (SE 195W) + 2 units (SE 198) = 6 total units
  • LAs in SE 195W must enroll in exactly: 4 units (SE 195W) + 2 units (UNI STU 198) + 2 units (UNI STU 176) = 8 total units

*Please see for more information about learning assistantships



What's included: 

  • Field Study Overview 
  • Student Calendar 
  • Steps to Success 
  • SE 195 vs. SE 195W
  • Field Study Learning Objectives 
  • Important Field Study Information and Resources 


Watch our latest Field Study Information Session below!

Spring 2022  Field Study Info Session

View recording with transcript  HERE

View clickable version of the presentation  HERE (PDF) 

    Additional Field Study and University Policies

    For more details, check out our Field Study FAQ page