Field Study gives students an opportunity to take part in career exploration, by allowing them to explore various fields possibilities through the application process and during their placement period. On this page, we provide you with tools, resources, and tips to help support this important and beneficial aspect of the field study experience.
How to Find the Career For You
- Career Direction Resources Overview
- Career Development Checklist
- Career Exploration Exercises
- Career Toolkit
- Career Assessments
- Job Shadowing
- Advice from Previous Students
- More Career Exploration Resources
- Explore Majors
- Career Resources for the School of Social Ecology
- What Can I Do With This Major?
Field Study and Your Career
How to choose the right field study placement opportunities for you?
- Your field study placement can be selected based on:
- Your career interest
- Your personal passion
- An area of interest that you may have thought about, but it would be outside of your current major(s).
- How does field study help with career exploration?
- Identifying mentors and peers who share similar interests and goals
- Gaining a sense of what work environment and pacing are right for you
- Fast vs. slow-paced environment
- Working from home/ remotely vs. in the office
- Collaborating in groups vs. working independently
- Applying knowledge learned in the classroom to the field
- Building technical and professional skills
- Providing field experience that may or may not meet expectations
- Familiarizing yourself with expectations and procedures specific to your field of interest
- UCI Division of Career Pathways. “Planning Your Future: Career Direction Resources.” July 2018. career.uci.edu/wp-content/uploads/2018/03/QT_CareerDirectionResources.pdf
- UCI Division of Career Pathways. “Career Development Checklist.” career.uci.edu/docs/grad-students/career-development-checklist.pdf
- UCI Division of Career Pathways. “Career Exploration Resources.” career.uci.edu/undergraduate/explore-a-career/career-exploration-resources/
- UCI Division of Career Pathways. “Career Toolkit.” career.uci.edu/undergraduate/explore-a-career/career-toolkit/
- UCI Division of Career Pathways. “Career Assessments.” career.uci.edu/undergraduate/explore-a-career/career-assessments/
- UCI Division of Career Pathways. “Job Shadow Program.” career.uci.edu/undergraduate/explore-a-career/job-shadow-program/
- UCI Division of Career Pathways. “Advice and Stories.” career.uci.edu/undergraduate/explore-a-career/advice-and-stories/
- UCI Division of Career Pathways. “Graduate Student Independent Exercises.” career.uci.edu/wp-content/uploads/2018/03/Packet_GradStudentIndEx.pdf
- UCI Division of Career Pathways. “Exploring Majors.” career.uci.edu/undergraduate/explore-a-career/choosing-a-major/
- UCI Division of Career Pathways. “UCI School of Social Ecology.” career.uci.edu/campus-resources/resources/?unit=social-ecology&id=64
- Stahl, A. (2018). “5 Steps to Finding the Right Career For You.” https://www.forbes.com/sites/ashleystahl/2018/09/27/5-steps-to-finding-t...
- What Can I Do With This Major? “Welcome.” whatcanidowiththismajor.com/info.html
- Roadtrip Nation. Roadmap. roadtripnation.com/roadmap