The SOCECOL 106W: Digital Media Archive courses represent a unique “3-in-1” model by simultaneously fulfilling the following three requirements:
1) Field Study course
2) Field placement and
3) Upper Division Writing
All in one!
- Same prerequisites required as the traditional field study courses, more information below. For a comparison of the field study courses click here.
- Students will be required to successfully complete the course in conjunction with 80 hours of fieldwork with the corresponding placement.
2023-2024 Academic Year Offerings
- Fall 2023
- SOCECOL 106W (2 Sections)
- Winter 2024
- No sections will be available.
- Spring 2024
- SOCECOL 106W (1 section)
Spring 2024 Course Description
SOCECOL 106W Digital Media Archive (50070) Project: National Registry of Exonerations
Instructor/Supervisor: Dr. Simon Cole
Description: In this service-learning course, students will complete their field study and writing requirements while contributing to the National Registry of Exonerations, an internationally known archive of all known exonerations in the United States, which is headquartered at UC, Irvine. Students will work with real cases of innocent people who have been convicted of crimes and then exonerated. During the course of the quarter, cases will progress from the research phase to the coding phase to the writing phase, culminating in the writeup of a summary of each case for publication on the Registry’s public website. Students will learn research skills, including reading and interpreting legal documents and criminal court dockets and interviewing court clerks and attorneys. Students will learn social science coding. And, students will learn skills for newspaper-style writing. Students whose work meet the Registry’s standards, will be published and preserved as the permanent records of these cases, and students will be playing an important role in the innocence movement, identifying, helping care for, counting, and telling the stories of persons wrongly convicted by the US criminal legal system. This is an experiential learning course in which students contribute to and sustain a digital media archive
Class Time: Monday 9:00 - 10:20, ALP 2100
Capacity: 40 students
APPLICATION COMING SOON
Note: Applications are reviewed on a rolling basis, the application will remain open until all spots are filled.
Application and Enrollment Procedures:
- Declared major in the School of Social Ecology (NOT currently approved for ENSP majors)
- SOCECOL 10 (or an equivalent course)
- 2.0 GPA
- Junior or Senior Standing (90+ units)
- Lower Division Writing
Preferred qualifications for this project include:
- Capacity for independent work
- Ability to complete tasks on time and with diligence
- Strong work ethic
- Attention to detail and pride in careful and accurate work
- Ability to meet deadlines and get work done in a timely manner
- Responsiveness in communications (i.e., respond promptly to emails)
TO CONFIRM AND SUBMIT:
- Once you've applied, allow our application committee 5-7 business days to review your application. You will have to go through a screening process and await approval.
- If accepted OR denied the committee will send a follow-up email to provide the update.
- Those accepted will need to submit a Spring 2024 Course Enrollment Form (Due February 16) to submit the following:
- Course Selection: SOCECOL 106W
- Placement Information
- Site Number: 1006
- Placement Name:
- SOCECOL 106W - National Registry of Exonerations
- Supervisor Info:
- Name: Simon Cole
- Title: Assistant Professor, Criminology, Law & Society
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- ALL CEFs will be processed after the CEF deadline (February 16)
- Once your CEF is processed you will be notified and provided instructions to enroll.
- Students will be able to enroll in SE106W through WebReg, upon receiving the authorization email. All students must enroll by September 1
- SOCECOL 106W (Digital Media Archive)
- Course Code: 50070
- SOCECOL 106W (Digital Media Archive)
- Fieldwork Hour Requirement: 80 hours
PERTINENT DEADLINES & DATES:
|Application Opens||Wednesday, November 29|
|Course Enrollment Form Opens||Monday, December 4|
|Deadline to submit Course Enrollment Form||Friday, February 16|
|Deadline to Enroll||Friday, March 15|
|Placement Period||March 27 to June 7|
Email us: email@example.com
Chat or meet with us: https://fieldstudy.soceco.uci.edu/pages/advising