Labor Summer comes to Orange County!
UC Irvine Labor Center is coordinating Labor Summer internships for undergraduate and graduate students. In 2023 organized labor has had a historic year, from Strikes by Writers Guild of America, Screen Actors Guild, and United Autoworkers Workers to national unionization efforts by Workers United with it’s Starbucks campaign. Community organizations have led campaigns across the country in advancing issues on social justice. Being a part of Labor Summer interns network with labor and community leaders while they gain skills and experience that can be applied to jobs in labor and non-governmental organizations.
Labor Summer is an eight-week, full-time paid internship with an Orange County labor union or community organization. Below is important information and requirements.
- Runs from June 17th to August 9th.
- Intern application deadline is February 16th,
- Juneteenth and July 4th will be observed holidays.
- $22.50 per/hour wage with 40 hours per week.
- First week of orientation will take place in two parts. The first part will take place at UCI. The second part will be in partnership with UCLA, UCSD, UCR, and UCSB. The location will be at UCLA with transportation and lodging being provided by the UCI Labor Center as necessary.
- Weeks 2 – 8 interns will work at assigned host sites in Orange County
- Interest in working on social and economic justice issues.
- Interest working with labor unions and community based organizations.
- Ability to work in diverse communities.
- Ability to work evenings and weekends.
- Must be available for the entire length of the internship.
- Not enrolled in summer classes (UCI Social Ecology students may enroll in SE 195).
- Have reliable transportation.
- Must be an undergraduate or Master’s student. Priority will be given to UC Irvine students.
UC Irvine Application Deadline: Friday, February 16th
How to use Labor Summer for your Field Study:
Students that would like apply their Labor Summer experience toward their Field Study requirement MUST enroll in a remote summer section of SE 195 or SE 195W while completing their Labor Summer internship. Below are the general steps for enrolling in summer Field Study with Labor Summer:
1. Student applies to Labor Summer
2. Labor Center selects students (not all that apply are accepted)
3. Labor Center matches student to internship (students don’t get to choose)
4. Labor Center sends final list of participants to Field Study office
5. Student submits Course Enrollment Form (CEF) with placement info (e.g., site name, primary and alternative contact name and contact information) to Field Study office prior to the deadline, to request enrollment in a summer FS course
- PLEASE NOTE: Summer Course Enrollment Form: Will open Monday, March 25
- Information submitted via the CEF:
- Student information for verification of your eligibility and completion of the Field Study prerequisites
- Your summer session selection: SUMMER SESSION I ONLY - for Labor Center
- Your field study course selection (SE195, 195W), so we know which course we should authorize you for if you are fully eligible.
- Your placement information, so we know where you will be completing your fieldwork hours and which supervisor to contact. Use Site # 1004
6. Field Study office processes CEFs on rolling basis and authorizes student to enroll in a summer Field Study course
7. Field Study office checks in with each student's supervisor to complete student evaluations and verify completed hours