Skip to main content

FAQ for Faculty

Are their established standards for field study?

Yes, the faculty have established minimum standards for field study.

What is the process for students to enroll in the program?  

Students must be authorized by field study staff before they can enroll in a section of field study. Once authorization is submitted students may enroll through WebReg or Summer Session. No course code is required. To receive authorization students:

  1. Apply directly to approved field study sites
  2. Accept an offer and confirm placement with the agency
  3. Submit a course enrollment form* by the appropriate deadline on the field study website 
  4. Complete prequisites (SocEcol 10, 90+ units, declared majors in the School of Social Ecology). 

*Course enrollment forms are reviewed to confirm prerequisites are met and that the placement and fieldwork aligns with the expectations of the field study program.  

What information can I expect from the field study office?  

  • A roster of the students in your section along with their course enrollment forms
  • At the end of the quarter you will receive a report that verifies the fieldwork hours and the overall rating the student earned from their supervisor. 
  • Recommendations for Incomplete grades, for students who meet the following internal guidelines:
    • Student must be in progress to complete at least 50% of the hours (or more) by the end of the placement period 
    • Student must be in good academic standing in the field study course 
    • Students must have encountered or experienced extenuating circumstances that affected their ability to complete the hours by the stipulated deadline. 

How is field study graded?

  • Field Study (SocEcol 195) is graded on a Pass/No Pass (P/NP) basis based on satisfactory completion of both academic and fieldwork requirements.
  • Field Study Writing Seminar (SocEcol 195W) is graded.
  • Occasionally, we may not receive verification of the student’s fieldwork in time to meet the due date for submitting grades. In the case of students for whom we do not have evaluations or who have not completed the hours requirement (25 hrs/1 unit credit), faculty may choose to assign a grade of “Incomplete”.
    • If students will be completing hours beyond finals week, faculty are encouraged to make arrangements with students for continued University supervision of their fieldwork. This can often be accomplished through weekly updates via email from the student.

How do I submit a change of grade?  

How to Submit a Request

  •     Access WebGrades for the term and course
  •     Click Request Post-Quarter Grade Changes
  •     Locate the student and assign the new grade
  •     Click Submit Grade Changes into Approval Process
  •     Provide a concise description of the error(s) necessitating the change request
  •     Click Submit Request or cancel and return to WebGrades

Submitted requests will be forwarded to the school offering the course, the Registrar's Office, and if applicable Summer Session. The request may be denied by any of these offices and/or returned to the previous approval point for further explanation.

For more information, visit:

Does the Field Study Office collect course syllabi for field study?

Yes! Please forward a copy of your current 195 or 195W course syllabus to the Field Study Program at